September 13, 2012

One More Summer Dress Finished

I finally finished my last summer dress for this year right in time to wear it for the last warm day.


It was too cold to wear it without a cardigan, though.


I have to say that I'm not completely happy with the dress. I'm not sure if a dress with small straps and no sleeves is a flattering style on me, and I feel kind of naked in it. I do love the fabric, but it feels a bit too bright and colorful (a friend told me that this is just because autumn arrives, and that I will love the colorful dress next spring). But the worst is that it doesn't fit right in the bodice, and I didn't know how to solve this fitting problem.


See how the bodice wrinkles at the side seam? It's not so much on the left side seam, but for some reason, at the right side it's really awful. I spent a whole day ripping, pinning, basting and ripping again, with no success. The wrinkles stayed as they are, they didn't even change a bit. In the end, frustrating as it was, I decided to just leave the wrinkles and finish the dress nonetheless.

I set in a handpicked zipper at the center back,


and I lined the bodice with cotton voile. The bodice is also underlined with silk organza.


For the shoulder straps, I used the same bias taping as for the "piping", but I inserted silk organza straps to keep them from stretching out.

Well, I will see how I like the dress next spring, for the moment it is too cold to wear it, anyway!


And now I'm off to start, a bit late, with my vestido rojo. I already traced the pattern!

14 comments:

  1. sehr hübsch! und passt auch toll mit dem jäckchen zusammen.
    ich sehe das kleid in diesem "sommer" schon das 3 mal und hab voll das schlechte gewissen, weil ich es schon seit 3 jahren nähen möchte:-)
    ich sehe all diese versionen, eine ist schöner als die andere und krieg nur shclechtes gewissen:-)
    ich möchte auch ein sommer cocktail-kleid nähen,was komplett mit organza unterlegt wird. aber.. es ist so wahnsinnig teuer..zumal seiden organza schmaller ist und mehr benötigt wird..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke! Ich wollte es auch schon lange nähen, aber ich fand es nicht ganz unproblematisch. Der Ausschnitt war sehr tief, den musste ich höher machen. Und am Oberteil bilden sich an der Seitennaht Falten, die habe ich nicht wegbekommen. Die abgebildeten Kleider in der Zeitschrift haben diese Falten auch. Ich weiss aber nicht, ob das ein Passformproblem ist oder ein Konstruktionsproblem (fehlende Stäbchen bei engem Oberteil). Ich bin schon gespannt was du meinst wenn du das Kleid nähen wirst!
      Dein Seidenorganza habe ich auch nur für das Oberteil verwendet, aus den gleichen Gründen! :)

      Delete
  2. I love the piping- such a soft summer dress with so much detail- lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice details all over your dress. It looks great on you

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems so fancy and couture when people use silk organza- I've never done it! Well done, a cute dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this dress. It looks so well made. Simple but lovely design details

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grüezi! Gorgeous dress. The details are lovely. Amazing work on the zipper, and I'm jealous of your perfect pleats on the skirt. I promise the side wrinkles aren't even noticeable. I guess we are all our own worst critics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely style on you. The pleats are great as are the details you've added..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pasate por mi blog tienes un premio.
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hola...!!! en mi blog tienes un premio para recoger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Monisíma la tela y el diseño del vestido.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, the piping details are lovely. Thanks for sharing over on MMM.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...